Sunday, May 14, 2006

Standing Alone My Senses Reeled


Today, I made my long-awaited return to the Kensico Reservoir. I picked up two dozen trout worms from Jack's Bait and Tackle Shop on City Island. (I'm glad I beat the Mother's Day gridlock.)

I fished by Rye Bridge, Boat Area 8. It was cloudy and overcast. A couple of times, I felt a few drops of rain, but the expected shower never materialized. I started fishing around 2:30 PM. I didn't catch anything. In fact, I didn't have a single bite all day. I changed my location, moving nearer the bridge. I packed it in around 6:30.

I used a trout worm on one line, fishing it near the surface with a bobber and then on the bottom with an egg sinker. Nothing.

I also cast a Krocodile and a
Blue Fox silver Vibrax Mid. No interest.

I asked one fisherman who was leaving the reservoir with two friends if they had any luck. He smiled and shook his head.

One gentleman who was out on the water with a boat reported that he snagged several bass but no trout. (The tone of his voice suggested they were small bass and not "keepers.")

I could see someone fishing across the water from shore. He looked like he caught something.

Next time I visit Kensico, I'll be sure to pick some up sawbellies and maybe try the other side of the bridge.

I have no idea when I will try again. Next weekend, I may try my luck elsewhere.

Despite my lack of success, I'm glad I went. The area is beautiful. The water is still. To quote an old Eagles song, Kensico gives me a "peaceful, easy feeling."