Sunday, May 21, 2006

Hot Air for a Cool Breeze



I went back to Dobbs Ferry today. By 3:30 PM, I had three lines in the water--one with fresh bunker, one with a live eel, and one with herring. I went in search of striped bass. It was raining slightly, but it eventually stopped. Within an hour, the sun came out. The problem was the wind. It was blowing hard. I was hoping it would calm down, but it seemed to get worse. As the tide was coming in, the water was crashing hard into the shore. I wisely moved my gear to higher ground. By high tide, two-three foot waves were violently attacking the shore. I was no longer able to stay on the dock, which was practically under water, as you can see from the two images above.

After fishing for about two hours and 20 minutes, I decided to pack it in early. I didn't get a single bite all day. I will definitely return when the wind and waters are calm and test out live eels and herring, which striped bass seem to prefer.