Friday, May 12, 2006

A Return to Kensico

After last Sunday's triumph, I will return to the Kensico Reservoir this weekend. This will be an exploratory trip, scouting out areas to fish.

Last year, I bought two smaller poles for trout fishing. I'll be using one to cast trout worms, and the other with lures. (I'll try sawbellies and minnows in a few weeks.)

The Kensico Reservoir supplies fresh water to NYC. To access the area and fish, you need (1) a fishing license and (2) an access permit, which you can request
here from the DEP. After 9/11, the DEP added another requirement. You also need to register your vehicle with the DEP so you can park by the reservoir.

I remember the week after 9/11, I went up there to fish. It was immediately closed to fishing and boating. The Kensico Sportsman, a bait and tackle shop in Thornwood, was forced out of business by the security changes. I felt sorry for him. The man was a nice guy and always helpful. I'm sure he landed on his feet and is doing well today.

Obviously, they are afraid of terrorists trying to blow up the Kensico dam, which would send an estimated
30 billion gallons of water southward and destroying everything in its path. They're also afraid of poisoning the water supply. (Yes, that's the plot of the great blaxploitation film, Three the Hard Way (1974) or an episode of the old Cold War, 1950s television series, I Led 3 Lives.)

It should take me about 30-45 minutes to get up there.