Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Unheeded Warnings, I Thought I Thought of Everything


Yesterday (Monday, May 3), the skies looked cloudy. I figured I would go fishing since I live for those type of overcast days.

I headed up to Hudson Park in New Rochelle. I went to Hudson Park Bait and Tackle to pick up bloodworms. The nice lady at the store told me they were out of bloodworms and fresh bunker. I was forced to settle for sandworms instead.

As I drove into the lot, I noticed the clouds getting darker and more ominous. A strong wind was moving the water. It started raining, and then the heavens opened up. I stayed in my car and didn't get wet. I figured I wait 15 minutes or so.

I got there a little after high tide around 4 PM. It eventually stopped raining, so I started fishing. As I set up, another fisherman, who also waited for the downpour to end, got out of his van. We exchanged nods.

I just used two lines. As the weather got better, the lot gradually filled up with more fishermen. I also saw a few fishermen across the water in Five Islands Park. They weren't fishing on the dock, where I usually fish, but on the nearby rocks. In fact, the nice lady told those rocks were the places to fish for stripers.

I had exactly two bites. Unfortunately, I didn't hook anything. I added fresh sandworms to the lines several times as the day went on. I reeled in the lines a little to attract the attention of any stripers or flounder who might be hungry.

In the evening, the sun even came out, and the water became perfectly still. I enjoyed it as I smoked another Butera Capo Grande cigar.

I wondered how things would have turned out if I took the long way and went to Jack's on City Island and picked up bloodworms and fresh bunker. I don't think it would have made much of a difference since I didn't see anyone else catch anything.

I gave up around 7 PM.