Saturday, May 08, 2010

Is It Just a Waste of Time?


Yesterday, I made my second trip to Riverdale. The parking attendant told me that someone or some people caught a few big fish the day before.

I went to the last area on the promenade, the same spot I used last time. It was sunny and hotter than I expected. The tide was low, and it was coming in. I started fishing around 2:30.

Early on, I had two bites, which (combined with the parking attendant's report) increased my hopes of having a great day fishing.

As it turned out, it didn't work out that way.

At first I used two poles. Since there was little or no wind, I then used three. I had a couple of more bites, but failed to catch anything. As usual, I kept losing the bait. I didn't use the treble hooks I bought last year. I didn't just didn't feel like using them. Maybe that was a mistake.

I passed the time reading old articles I had ripped put of the Wall Street Journal. I listened to my iPod. I talked with a Metro North maintenance worker about fishing.

In the evening, the temperature dropped noticeably. I wished I had brought my sweatshirt or jacket.

After the sun disappeared behind the New Jersey side, the clouds came out. I thought this might increase my chances of catching something, but it didn't.

I packed up around 7 PM. I took a second box of bloodworms home with me to use next time.

My failure to catch anything today gave me a bad feeling: that this might turn out to be a really disappointing fishing season.