Thursday, July 09, 2009

With Your Nerves in Tatters


After a month of silence, I have returned. "Where have you been?" the three of you who visit this blog regularly must be asking. About a day after the Croton disaster, I caught a bad cold--it seemed more like the flu--which incapacitated me the rest of the week. I then caught a minor ear infection, which nagged me for a couple of weeks. My bizarre sleep patterns and some bad weather also helped derail my fishing plans for June.

Today, I went fishing at Five Islands Park in New Rochelle. It's hard to believe that I haven't fished here since April 27. Time passes awful quickly.

I stocked up on supplies at Jack's and bought two dozen bloodworms and two fresh bunker. Once again, I bought more bait than I needed.

I got to the dock around 12 PM, about 90 minutes or so before high tide. The sun was out, and it wasn't too hot. There was a slight breeze. The dock often moved back and forth, perhaps due to the breeze and the water, which was unusually active.

I used three lines, two with bloodworms and one with bunker. Today, I also experimented with snelled Kahle hooks, which are shaped like this. Unfortunately, the ones I bought at Jack's had too much flourocarbon leader (at least three feet) attached to them. I was able to cast my lines with these hooks, but they're more suited for deeper water.

I had exactly one bite. When I reeled it in, the line snapped. I didn't have any other bites. I guess the fish were on vacation.

I packed up around 3:30, as the tide was going out.

I do have a few things to do before my next fishing trip: organize my tackle box, throw out stuff I don't need, clean and then respool one reel, and wash my fishing rags.