Monday, April 27, 2009

How Can I Escape This Irresistible Grasp?


Today, I went up to Five Islands Park in New Rochelle. The weather and my unusual sleeping patterns prevented me from going fishing last week as I originally planned.

I bought two dozen bloodworms at Jack's and four eels.

I got to the dock around 1:30, at high tide. It was sunny, warm, and the water was perfectly still.

I had bloodworms on two lines. I used an eel on the third. I had trouble picking up an eel in the bucket. Even with a rag, I couldn't get a good grip on it. I dumped some of the water in the bucket to make it easier, but one of the eels slipped out into the water. After some more struggling, I managed to grab one and attach it to the hook.

Once again, I remembered to seek St. Peter's intercession. Although I didn't catch any fish, he didn't disappoint.

I didn't have a single bite all day. I reeled in the lines and attached new bloodworms a couple of times. Since the eel continued to live, I didn't dump it for a fresh one.

I don't remember the exact time, but I reeled in the line with the eel to check it. It felt heavier than usual. Did I snag some garbage? When I pulled it out, I saw that I caught a crab. It didn't seem hook itself, but it got tangled in the line. It laid on its back on the dock. Its span measured 12 inches. Using my foot, I gently pushed it back into the water. (These things bite, you know.)

I stayed until 5 PM. I dumped the bloodworms and the two eels in the bucket in the water. I released the eel on the hook in the water, very much alive.

I wonder where the fish were. Did they stay away because of the heat or was Holy Thursday's triumph a fluke?

Although I'm glad I caught something, I found today's fishing experience unpleasant. Eels are slippery, and they smell bad. But I know I'll probably experiment with them on the Hudson River.