Monday, April 20, 2009

Cold Comfort for Change


Yesterday (Sunday), I went fishing on the Hudson River in Riverdale. I bought two dozen blood worms and one fresh bunker at Jack's.

High tide in Riverdale was about 5:50 PM. So I got there around 3 PM. It was sunny, breezy, and warm at first.

I used bloodworms on both lines. I had no action for the first 20 minutes or so. I remembered to ask St. Peter for his intercession, and he delivered once again.

Around 3:40, I caught my first fish. As I was reeling it in, I knew it was larger than any of the fish I caught here previously. I pulled out a striped bass. It measured 19 inches. When I picked it up to remove the hook, I saw that it left a sizable pool of blood on the ground. It completely swallowed the hook, which slashed its gills. Since there was no way of removing the hook, I just cut the line and threw the fish back.

I eventually tried fresh bunker on one line, but I didn't have any luck. Using a bloodworm, I caught another striper. This one measured about 14 inches. I returned it to the river.

As the evening set in, the temperature dropped significantly. I'm glad I brought a jacket. Throughout the day, I took notice of the barges that were sitting on the river. I counted ten of them. Why were they just sitting there?

I caught one more striper with a bloodworm. This one was small, about nine inches or so. He, too, was sent safely on his way.

In the evening, a very pleasant Jewish man brought his young son over. The man's accent suggested Israel or Russia. He was very curious about fishing and asked a few questions: What kind of bait do I use? Are the fish I catch safe to eat? How do I know if I caught something? When I attached a fresh bloodworm to my hook, he told his son to observe my technique. I showed them a picture from my digital camera of the big striper I caught, and they were both impressed. The man and his son soon left. The father was very nice and gracious, and I hope he takes up fishing.

I packed up and left at 7:45. Catching the big striper told me there are large fish to be caught in this area. So I shouldn't expect to catch small fish here.

We'll see what the week brings. I would like to try Kenisco and use eels for bait, both in New Rochelle and here in Riverdale.