Wednesday, July 22, 2009

And Did They Get You to Trade Your Heroes For Ghosts?


I struck out for the third time in a row.

Last Friday (July 17), I returned to Riverdale. I admit I decided to fish there because it's been a safe and reliable spot for me this past season.

After picking up two dozen bloodworms from Jack's, I had my lines in the water at 4:30, about a half hour before high tide.

The weather was humid, and the sky was filled with omnious clouds. Heavy rain and thunderstorms were predicted, but they arrived long after I left. The water was calm.

On that day, I decided to experiment with some new hooks I bought via mail order from Cabelas. For two poles, I used treble hooks. One type I bought was snelled (which I attached on a snap swivel), while the other was not. The second type has a large-enough eye that my fish finder wouldn't slip through it. So I was able to tie it to the line. I wondered if hooking the worm on three hooks would reduce chances of the bait slipping off and also increase the chances of securely hooking a fish. For my third line, I used worm hooks, which I tied to the line.

I did have a few bites. One time I nearly hooked something, but the fish let go of the bait or managed to unhook itself. I did check the lines a few times and saw that the hooks were completely clean. I don't want to conclude my experiment was a failure until I try it a few more ones.

I passed the time reading the Wall Street Journal and the Bronx Times-Reporter. I listened to my iPod, and I exchanged emails, using my BlackBerry Pearl, with a friend.

In the evening, it got cooler, and the sun began to peek through the clouds. I enjoyed the cool weather and was treated to a beautiful sunset.

I left around 8:30 or so after it got dark.

Fishing always seems to slow down in the summer, so we'll see what the next couple of months bring.