Tuesday, May 26, 2009

There Is No Pain, You Are Receding

Today, I tried Kensico again. I returned to an area not far from the dam, where I fished several times before with some luck.

I wanted to do try something different today. Instead of sawbellies, I thought I'd try bloodworms instead with my larger poles with heavier test line. In the early days, meaning 1996, I did catch a couple of fish that way.

I picked up just a dozen bloodworms at Jack's. (Wade's doesn't carry bloodworms.) I got to the rock around 2:15 and had two lines in the water with bloodworms.

The weather was overcast and quite cool. There was little wind, and the water was still.

Going in, I honestly didn't expect to catch anything or even stay long.

I met my expectations. I didn't have a single bite. At one point, I tried to reel in one of the two bloodworms, but it got stuck. I pulled and pulled, but it wouldn't budge. I just didn't feel like cutting the line, especially after respooling it recently. So I just put my rod down with a hope that a fish might free the line for me.

I opted not to listen to my iPod. Instead, I read more of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I enjoyed the sounds such as the wind blowing through the leaves. At one point, I heard knocking. I could tell it came high up, off the ground. It must have been a woodpecker. I named him "Woody," after a childhood favorite.

I eventually tried the line that got stuck. I was able to reel it in. How did it get loose? Did a fish help me out, or was it something else?

With my third pole, I tried a lure, a spoon with green tails. I don't know the exact name, or how it got into my tackle box. Although I was able to cast it far, I had no luck with it. All too often, I buy things I never or rarely use or really need.

As I was standing on the rock and looking at the water, I asked myself, "Where are the fish?" I was hoping to see a fish jump out of the water, but I didn't see any. I also didn't see a single rowboat. I reminded myself that I keep trying Kensico because there is always a chance I might catch something.

I gave early, before 5 PM. We'll see what the rest of the week brings.