Friday, May 15, 2009

Running Over the Same Old Ground

Today, I made my return to Hudson Park in New Rochelle for the first time in over a year. If you recall, the last time I was here I lost a large striper.

I picked up two dozen bloodworms and one fresh bunker from Jack's. I got to Hudson Park around 4:30 at high tide. It was sunny and warm, but with no wind. I chose Hudson Park because of its convenience. I was feeling a little under the weather with a couple of pains, and I didn't feel like carrying my fishing gear over a distance.

I began the day by respooling two of my poles with 17-pound test. By 5 PM, I had my lines in the water, two with bloodworms and one with a piece of fresh bunker.

I didn't get a single bite all day. I said my prayer. I changed bait. I reeled in the lines a little to draw attention to the bait. I recast the lines. Nothing worked.

What's funny is that there were fish jumping out of the water. One fisherman, using a bunker sinker (a sinker with several hooks), caught a few bunker.

I passed the time by reading the Wall Street Journal and listening to my iPod. In the evening, I smoked a very good cigar.

I gave up around 7:10.

I hope to try Riverdale on Sunday and maybe a new location during the week.