Saturday, May 02, 2009

Outside the Rain Fell Dark and Slow


Yesterday (Friday), I went to Riverdale for some late afternoon fishing. I bought two dozen bloodworms at Jack's. (I decided to skip the eels this time.)

I got to the Metro-North station around 4:20. I managed to find a parking spot near the entrance, which I interpreted as a good sign. I paid the weekday, $3.25 parking fee.

The promenade was deserted. Like I did the last few times, I set up shop in the last viewing area. By 4:30, I had my two lines in the water.

The weather was cool and occasionally breezy. Since I expected rain, I dressed for it. The skies were dark gray, but it rained only a little. At times, there was a layer of foggy mist on top of the water, which I thought was quite beautiful. I started fishing as the tide was going out.

Whenever I go fishing and a slight rain falls, I'm always reminded of that afternoon I spent in a boat on the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. in May 1997. If you recall, I mentioned that experience in my very first post. Back then, I had just passed the comprehensive exam to earn my Master's Degree. Although I did the best academic work of my life, graduate school was often brutal, and I was relieved that I made it to the finish line. That day on the Potomac, I caught a few perch and a large catfish, which increased my already-celebratory mood.


With that Potomac memory in mind, I was in a great mood in Riverdale. Once again, I remembered to seek St. Peter's intercession. And once again, he didn't disappoint.

I admit that I expected to catch a lot of fish. Instead, I caught only one small striped bass, which measured 10 inches. I did have a number of bites on both poles, but only one fish managed to hook itself.

When I usually attach a bloodworm to the hook, it usually spurts a little blood. In turn, the blood attracts the fish. Most of the worms I used didn't shed any blood. I wonder if Jack's gave me some nightcrawlers by mistake.

I passed the time by smoking a cigar and listening to my iPod. I enjoyed Pink Floyd, Lita Ford, the Temptations, and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, among others.

I gave up slightly after 8 PM. It got dark, and the tide was low. Although I caught only one fish, I felt really good today, and I'm glad I went.

I was planning to try Kensico and even got my gear ready. But the Web site for Wade's Bait and Tackle said that they would be out of sawbellies for a couple of days.

We'll see what the week brings.