Saturday, June 03, 2006

And if the Cloud Bursts


Hoping to build on last week's success, I decided to try my luck again at Kensico.

In six hours of fishing, I didn't get a single bite.

I thought about canceling because of the heavy rain, but the weather forecast said it would stop raining by afternoon.

I bought a dozen sawbellies and a spool of four-pound test line from Wade's. I drove to where I fished last week. I got there around 2 PM. There were no cars parked along side of the road. So I figured my spot would be vacant.

But it was raining hard. Even though I've fished in heavy rain before, I decided to wait a while to see if it got better. Given my accident-prone history, I was worried about slipping on a wet rock or wet leaves and breaking something. The last thing I need is another injury. Around 2:20, the rain became a bearable drizzle. I made my way to the rock through some uneven terrain. Carrying two fishing poles, my tackle box, an empty bucket, and the water-filled bucket with the sawbellies, I had to be extra careful that the weight didn't cause me to fall when walking up and down inclines.

The fishing trip was nearly cut short before it began. When I got to the rock, I set the bucket with the sawbellies down. But it tipped over, and the water and sawbellies spilled out. I grabbed the bucket and steadied it on the rock. Fortunately, only one or two of the sawbellies fell into the water. I managed to retrieve the rest and refill the bucket.

I hooked up sawbellies to both my lines and them in the water. Since I was a little tired after my walk and frantic effort to pick up the sawbellies, I thought I would sit down and catch my breath.

Within an hour or two, it stopped raining. I didn't get a single bite.

I later tried a Krocodile with one line, but I had no luck.

I also tried attaching a bobber to one line, but I didn't get any hits.

A couple of times when I reeled in my line, the sawbellies were gone. Did they slip off, or did fish get them?

In the early evening, I saw a couple of fishermen out in their rowboats. No idea if they caught anything.

At least I got the chance to respool both lines.

What went wrong? It had just rained, and thick, gray clouds covered the sky. There was little wind. I was using sawbellies and a Krocodile. Not even one bite. Like last week, was it the time of day? Would I have had better luck if I showed up earlier, perhaps in the morning? That might be something to consider.

I gave up at 8:25.