Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sleep


"I shall return."--General Douglas MacArthur (March 11, 1942)


It's that time of year. With winter fast approaching, it's too cold to fish, and local bait stores won't be carrying any fresh bunker or bloodworms until the spring. It's time for me to give up fishing and head into hibernation.

I'm glad I was able to salvage a little something from my annus horribilis and catch a few fish.

I am grateful for my religious faith. Among many things, it gives me hope: the belief (perhaps an assurance) in the possibility that no matter how bad things get or how bleak they appear to be, they can get better, obviously with prayer and effort, sooner or later. (Notice I didn't write will. I consider myself a realist and believe very strongly in Original Sin.) Indeed, hope is one of the things that has kept me going for the last several decades and keeps me going.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and see you next spring.