Sunday, November 11, 2007

There's Someone in My Head, But It's Not Me


The three of you who regularly read my blog have been probably wondering where I've been the last five months. No, I didn't drown accidentally. I didn't take up golf.

I did go fishing three more times since the June 11 post. I just posted the account of my July 2 trip. A few days after that, I tried the Esopus Creek in Ulster County. I went fishing for only 30 minutes. I kept losing the lures on the rocks in the shallow water. I just gave up in frustration.

In August, I went on a party boat for the first time since 1981 or so. I went with my two cousins and several other people. The trip was organized as part of my cousin's bachelor party. We went out on Jamaica Bay, off Howard Beach in Queens. We were out for four hours. The fishing all around wasn't that great. I didn't catch anything. Still, I had fun.

So why didn't I post anything since mid-June? If you recall, I didn't even start fishing until mid-May, missing the early, and for me, the best part of the season.

For me, it's been a very tough year. I've been distracted, emotionally drained, frequently tired, burned out, and hurting physically. I've also had a few long bouts of depression. My job performance and freelance work have both suffered notably. I guess 2007 is a year I would prefer to forget. My life has become a series of Pink Floyd songs.

So now, in mid-November, it's too cold to go fishing. I put my gear away last month. I plan on spending the next few months addressing these personal issues and trying to improve my physical and mental health. I will also scout new areas where I can fish. I hope to bounce back and start fishing again in mid or late March. So keep me in your prayers. I can use them.

So see you next spring.