Sunday, July 16, 2006

Tired of Lying in the Sunshine


Today, I had planned to explore Wampus Pond in Armonk. It offers boat rentals at hourly and daily rates. But the thought of spending hours roasting in an aluminium boat in the hot sun in 90+ degrees didn't appeal to me.

So I decided to go to Kensico. The trees would provide some shade. I picked up a dozen sawbellies at Wade's. I also bought a new fishing rod there. This morning, I found one of my trout rods broken. I have to get it fixed.

I got up at the rock around 11 AM. It was hot, and the sun was shining bright in the sky.

In almost four hours of fishing, the only thing I managed to catch was seaweed. I didn't have a single bite. I should have remembered the advice of the fishermen I got last time and try Kenisco only at daybreak.

In mid-afternoon, the wind picked up. So I gave up.

I took a quick drive to Wampus Pond to check it out. I found it easily. Earlier the gentleman at Wade's told me sawbellies wouldn't work because of the weeds. He advised nightcrawlers, shiners (minnows), rubber worms, and frogs. I noticed a lot of lilly pads near the shore.

The disadvantage is that boats have to be returned by 5 PM, and boats are only available from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I know I'll try Wampus Pond at least once before Labor Day.

While driving back, I noticed my glasses were missing. I couldn't find them in the car. So I returned to Kenisco, where I found them on the rock.