Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Steps Taken Forward


Yesterday afternoon (Monday), I went up to Hudson Park in New Rochelle to fish the waters of Long Island Sound. (Yankee great Lou Gehrig lived in New Rochelle at 9 Meadow Lane.)

In researching Hudson Park on the Internet, I learned that all non-residents have to purchase a fishing permit. After parking my car, I went to an office in the nearby marina. I got there just in time. They were about close early for the Fourth of July holiday. The permit costs $25.00, and the gentleman told me there's "no expiration date."

I got my bait at Hudson Park Bait & Tackle, on 94 Hudson Park Road. It's easy to spot. I bought two fresh bunker and a dozen nightcrawlers. (There's also a bar right next to it.)

I had to spend $3 to buy a parking permit.

I drove into park and looked for a place to fish. I parked my car in lot right by the water. I saw some other people fishing there.

This was my first time fishing in Hudson Park. It's a nice area. What's ironic is that I've been driving past Hudson Park for nearly 16 years. For some strange reason, it never occured to me to take a right and explore it. I can see that I've been missing out.

I got started. Since there's no current, I used one-ounce sinkers rather than two-ounce. Judging from a red buoy I saw, the water was 10-feet deep. I saw lots of boats coming and going.

I tried worms and bunker. I fished two lines off the bottom and one at the top with that double-bobber I used Sunday but with no sinker.

A gentleman fishing about 20 feet away from me caught a big flounder using some bunker.

I wasn't so lucky. I didn't catch anything. I did have one small bite, but whatever it was didn't get hooked.

At one point, it started raining. It got really bad, so I retreated into my car. The radio said it was a passing storm. It stopped after 20 minutes, and I got back out. By the time I left, the sun came back out.

I should have explored area more thoroughly before fishing to see if I could find a better spot.

Hudson Park has its advantages. I can fish from the parking lot and be near my car. (I left my tackle box in the trunk and would go back there to get what I needed.) There are plenty trash baskets around, so you can get rid of garbage easily. Ice cream trucks make frequent visits. It's also a quicker commute for me than Dobbs Ferry. There's also a bait and tackle shop nearby, so I don't have to make the long detour to Jack's on City Island.

I talked to a guy fishing near me. He told me that once he spent an entire day here fishing and didn't catch anything.

Next time, I ask the man in the bait shop for some advice. Fishermen may brag about the size of the fish they catch and the ones that got away, but they are always humble enough to ask for advice.

I left at 7:30.

But in the words of General Douglas MacArthur, "I shall return."