Wednesday, May 22, 2013

And If Your Head Explodes...


Again, I'm a little late with the updates. (Story of my life.) On Monday (May 20), I once again traveled to New Jersey. Eager to try new places, I went to Ross Dock, which is also on the Hudson River with clear view of the George Washington Bridge.

In baseball, it's called an "early exit," when the manager takes out the starting pitcher early in the game after a poor performance. I did have a few hits, including what seemed to be a big one, but my hooks kept getting caught in the rocks. I started out with two poles, although I brought three with me. At one point, I accidentally stepped on the third which was resting on the ground. It was the baitcasting rod, which I had brought out of retirement. I crushed its upper half with my boot.

Ross Dock is much cleaner than Alpine and had more people. I often prefer a little solitude. To get to Ross Dock, I noticed it's five miles from the exit on the Palisades Parkway. You have to be extra careful when driving on the road since it's frequently used by cyclists and a few pedestrians. I can get to Alpine much faster.

After about 90 minutes or less, my frustrations (and some physical pain) got the best of me, and I gave up. I'll try not to let this experience, which I have christened the Ross Dock Disaster of 2013 and rivals the Croton Point Park Disaster of 2009, prejudice me against Ross Dock. Next time, I'll just try a different spot.

In the meantime, I have to restock my gear.