Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Unexpected Resurrection of a Man Called Horse


   After over two years of silence, I have finally returned.

   Like Tommy John, Tony Conigliario, Tom FilerRick Burleson, Dennis Leonard, Charlie Lea, Joba Chamberlain, and Chien-Ming Wang, I face the challenge of getting back into the game after a substantial amount of time on the shelf. To shake off the rust, I started simple. I went fishing one week ago, Wednesday, April 10. Ironically, it was the same place where I last fished: Hudson Park in New Rochelle.

   I bought one dozen bloodworms and two fresh bunker. By the early afternoon, I had two lines in the water. The conditions were less than optimal. There was a breeze, and the sun was out. However, the tide was high. Looking across to Five Islands Park, I notice the metal, floating dock where I fished a number of times was gone. Apparently, Hurricane Sandy took it away.

   I hoped to begin my comeback by catching something for the first time since 2010. Unfortunately, I struck out. I didn't have a single bite in the two hours I spent there. There were several people fishing in the area, and I didn't see anyone catch anything.

   Nevertheless, it was great to be back.