Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Return of a Man Called Horse


I have returned. My fishing blog now begins its fifth year. I know I got started a little late this year.

I cleaned and respooled my three fishing poles. To shake off the winter rust, I took a quick fishing trip on Sunday afternoon. I was determined to avoid either Riverdale or New Rochelle for my first fishing trip on the season. I will certainly return to both places and perhaps even this week, but I feel I became too dependent on them last year.

I decided to try Mamaroneck Harbor (specifically Harbor Island Park) for the first time in many years. I remember catching a nice stripper (maybe 15 inches) here back in November 1996. I left my car on the street. I fished directly behind the Mamaroneck Volunteer Firemen's Memorial (probably not its exact name).

I got there before noon. There were a few clouds in the sky. There was a little wind, but not much. The water was shallow, and the tide was coming in.

I just used two poles, and used bloodworms for bait. I didn't intend to stay long. When I got there, I realized I picked a poor spot to fish.

One time, I thought I had a bite. I reeled it in, but it was nothing. I changed the bait a few times, but I didn't have any luck. I gave up around 2 PM. I wouldn't call it a wasted experience since I was determined to get started for the season.

If I want to avoid complacency, I know I have to explore more areas, not only in Westchester, but elsewhere.