Sunday, August 06, 2006

Condition Grounded But Determined to Try


Today, I returned to Dobbs Ferry for the first time in over a month.

I picked up three fresh bunker at Jack's. I got to the dock around 1:30 or so. I was shocked to see how dirty the area has become. Beer boxes, plastic bottles, and other garbage were strewn nearly everywhere. A few months ago, the individual who owns the property nailed a metal sign to a tree warning visitors not to litter or access to the area would be closed. (Some dumbass wrote, "You're Bluffing," on the sign with a magic marker.) I don't think it's too much to ask to make an effort to keep the area clean. Also, garbage attracts rats and other animals that can disrupt the joy of fishing.

It was past low tide. It was a little hot but not unbearable. There were a few clouds in the sky, but the sun was shining bright. There was no wind, and the water was calm.

A few seconds after I put my first line in the water and set the rod down in place, I noticed it tipping back and forth, indicating that a fish was attacking the bait. I thought this was going to be a very good day for fishing.

It wasn't.

Early on, I had a lot of bites, but nothing got hooked. I kept losing the bait. I got my line caught several times. Unlike yesterday, I went through the bunker fast. I also noticed that the bunker gradually deteriorated in the heat. My last one got mushy, and it was difficult to attach to the hook. Next time, I should keep it in water to keep it fresh longer.

A short time after I started, a couple of other fishermen showed up. One of them caught about four small perch using bloodworms. (The other guy just sat down and watched his friend.) They left after about an hour.

The only exciting thing that happened was that a seaplane landed in the water downriver and went to shore. It later came back out and took off.

By 4 PM, the bites stopped. I was nearly out of bait.

I finished very early around 5 PM. I guess this just wasn't my day or my weekend. (Maybe I am deservedly punished for many recent sins.)

I packed up and drove home, reeking of bunker.